RR #114: The Centurion
This Card-Review was written by Kathy McCracken and was published first on "Major Rakals Tal Shiar Headquarters (members.cox.net/majorrakal)" at Mar 18th, 2001.
This article is part of the article serie "Romulan Review" from "Major Rakal (Kathy Mc Kracken)". Also see:
- Previous "Romulan Review" (# 113): "RR #113: Keras".
- Next "Romulan Review" (# 115): "RR #115: Commander Charvanek".
Aefvadh! Along with The Romulan Commander (dubbed Keras by the game designers), the classic episode Balance of Terror gives the game another unnamed character, and this one remains as nameless as Voyager's doctor...
Keras's senior advisor brings a completely different and complementary set of strengths to your Romulan crew. Stellar Cartography fits hand in glove with Keras's Astrophysics for a space-oriented deck, while Exobiology is required by a number of nasty planet dilemmas (as well as many S/P dilemmas). With most Exobiology belonging to MEDICAL personnel who keep waltzing off to help assorted aliens, his SCIENCE classification will help keep some around for curing that Horta or sorting out Garak's issues. That classification and his icon also let him use both Classic Tricorders (regular and Medical) for maximum skill versatility.
But the skill that really makes him shine is the way he bumps up your other Romulans' attributes just by being at the same location. He can't do it from a cloaked ship, of course, but otherwise he's like a mini-Lower Decks for all Romulans -- and while Romulans in general have quite adequate CUNNING and STRENGTH for most situations, anything that can tweak Romulan INTEGRITY by +1 each is solid gold.
The Major's Combos:
- The Centurion + Away Team battle: The Romulans don't have a small hand weapon, like a D'k Tahg or a Type I phaser, that adds +1 STRENGTH and can report to a just-initiated battle. But The Centurion can be a handy substitute. Although he only enhances other Romulans (not your Non-Aligned or treaty personnel), he doesn't even have to be in the battle, just anywhere at the same location.
- The Centurion + Kukalaka: A science officer and a teddy bear together will raise your average Romulan's INTEGRITY to around a whopping 8.
- The Centurion + Classic Tricorder + Classic Medical Tricorder: Add Geology with the first and Exobiology with the second, and he can pass Odo's "Cousin" single-handedly. If you dare, let him "stop" to score the 5 points.